DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm having a baby!

And its name is MBA! Scared you, didn't I?




I can finally let this cat out of the bag. I have applied and been accepted to do an executive MBA program at Athabasca University! We are so excited, its just like finding out we are pregnant again! The late nights, the early mornings, the juggling of responsibilities... well, you get the picture. The gestation period is longer than an elephants (22 months... and yes, I checked) - it will take about 2 1/2 years to complete, and I start this September.... along with my return to full time work, and the older boys at school in grade 1 and 2. We are completely nuts, or rather, I am completely nuts. But I really think this is the right thing to do for me at this time - I need the challenge, the network of interesting people I am going to meet, and the exercise for the brain. There are also other indications that I am on the right path, but I can't go into that right now as its all very hush, hush. Let's just say that when it rains, it pours around here!

Now, before you think that we are moving to Alberta, we aren't. The beauty of this program is its distance learning, and you do your courses and your work according to your schedule. There are lectures that you download, course work that you complete on your own, and then you have your thesis project to do and some final comprehensive exams to do also. No need to drive downtown, park and sit in a lecture hall... I can do it in my jammies if I want! DH finally gets to get his dream computer now that I need it for school - I wonder if that is tax deductible???

So that's my big news for today! WEEEEEEEEE..... look, Mom, no hands!

4 comments:

brn2scrp said...

Aaahhhhhh! Talk about EXCITING news! We've got to set up a phone call for next week ... I need to hear all the juicy details!

Anonymous said...

I did several courses through Athabasca when I lived in Quebec. I like the way it worked and I had great support from my tutors. Enjoy and congratulations!

Dawn

Anonymous said...

so glad to hear from you again, looks like you had a nice time on your holiday and now you will be hitting the books again, congrats, hope to talk to you soon need to catch you up with some news
colette

Anonymous said...

You should write head-line copy for the NYTimes!

When I quoted you to my dear, Toronto friend, Liz, the other night she spit a mouthful of iced tea clear across the very elegant pergola under which we were enjoying the calm of a fine, summer's eve. ~GC