DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Saturday, March 15, 2008

What a week...

No, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth yet, but boy what a week! Let's see how it started:

birthday

Yes, that's right it was my birthday on Saturday... I am now 14 years old, according to Zach, which makes me very old now (your almost 12 Maman.. then you will be old!). I have made some subtle changes in my appearance (which I continue to work at)... now, I have no make up on and I was rather tired, but for those of you who haven't seen me in a while, I guess I will post this pic of me at my party:




Yes, that's right... my hair is now straight. It takes me about 1 hour to do it, but I have managed to keep it going this way for a bit now. I have also lost 14.2 lbs, and I will continue to work at that for sure (that cake in front of me is an expresso/vanilla cheesecake that my hubby made me from scratch that is on my diet, cause there is no sugar nor carbs in it... what an awesome man I have). I have been consistently working out 3 to 4 times per week for about 2 1/2 hrs per day trying to get all that "pre-toddler" weight off (those chocolate covered almonds prior to LOA/TA really did me in!). I only have another 55 lbs to lose, but I will be happy with 25 lbs in the next 6 months (I'm one of those people that loses 1 lb a week no matter what I do and no matter how hard I work out... very frustrating, but at least I know that I can lose this weight if I stick to the plan).



Everyone in the East experienced this wonderful last snowstorm that dumped more snow onto us. We spent the better part of Sunday digging out the driveway.. when I say "we" I mean all 6 of us. Why else have kids, but to help dig out from a massive snow storm? (said tongue in cheek of course). This is a pic of our backyard. That is a four foot fence around our inground pool. Needless to say that the kids are not allowed to go out back now. We were also worried about the dog "jumping" the fence, but I guess he still sees it as a barrier.

Hearing Test

(Sorry, I hope I haven't offended anyone with this joke... but I typed in "hearing test" for an image search and this came up and just cracked me me).

Kaitlynn went for her hearing test, and great news: the tubes make a big difference. She was rated at 40 dB, and she is now in the normal spectrum of 15 dB. There was 1 funky sound at the end which she didn't react too, but supposedly it was a such a weird noise that most 2 year olds don't get it.... who would have thought?

oysters

Mollusks are not in my near future: finally, after 25 years of waiting, its looking more and more like I am allergic to mollusks only, but not fish nor crustaceans. I had another skin test this week, and while I thought I was going to toss my cookies again, only my skin started to itch when he put the scallop on my arm (yes, that's right the doctor put a piece of scallop on my arm). The test was not a conclusive "yes, you are allergic" but the next step is to have a blood test done where they put actual scallops in my drawn blood to see what it does... who would have thought that is how you get a definitive answer? DH is excited... he wants me to eat sushi with him. That is going to take a while to get too, me thinks.



Then, Jacob had his first dentist appointment and was a real champ. He got to hold all the instruments and help the dentist do his thing. I completely forgot that he needed to have preventative antibiotics (he has a PDA, or in lay terms, a small hole in his heart) before he had his teeth cleaned... so afterwards, we ran to the pharmacy to only wait about 30 minutes to get two pills into him (the pharmacist didn't believe me when I told her he weighed 28 lbs... I had to go and get him out of the car with DH and Kaitlynn waiting, and bring him in to weigh him. At least the pharmacist apologized for doubting me - I know two things about my kids at all times: their weight and their shoe size. Crazy I know, but I can't tell you how many times I am at a store thinking I need to get this one shoes or boots, and I need their shoe size; the same goes for weight, as all medication is done by weight... well at least in our household it is, since my kids are above average or below average size for their ages).



Today saw the end of hockey season for the two older boys. Zach played against St-Hubert (no score... just for fun), and Tristan's team played against the parents. I got on the ice, and shocked a lot of people, shall we say, when they realized that I was no push over when it comes to skating (I initially was the only Mom on the ice, and was later joined by another Mom, among a sea of Dad's). The coaches had the parents do the warm up exercises, while the kids watched... I don't think they realized that I could do it and do it well - I had the coaches attention shall we say. I got a goal during the game, much to my surprise, and I got to face off with my kid a couple of times. I also played defense to Tristan's offensive plays a couple of times and gave him a run for his money. He has a lot more respect for me now that he realizes we can play together, I think. Now, I am not going to toot my own horn here, but it was quite the feeling walking into the arena with my bag of gear on my shoulder, my borrowed hockey stick in hand, watching the mens' reactions to my approach. My DH believed it ran along the lines of: "Oh man... she's good looking and she plays hockey... mama mia!" Tee hee... its nice to know that I can have that effect on some people even at the ripe old age of 14.

6 comments:

4D said...

Good stuff!! Happy birthday!

Keep smilin!

Leanne Franson said...

Hey! The hair looks great, and wow, losing all that weight! Way ta go! And double wow, a birthday!! Congratulations! But 14, yikes! so OLD! No wonder only 2 candles on the amazing husbandmadedietfriendly cake! And triple yowza wow, you can play hockey! I am probably way more impressed than your son. That is really amazing. Boy, is Jacob tiny! It is true that Kaitlynn looks twice his weight! She's looking good too. Tried to call you tonight... talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

You wrote:
"The coaches had the parents do the warm up exercises... I don't think they realized that I could do it and do it well - I had the coaches attention..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Only a skater mom can say she got weak in the knees watching warm-up.

I would never have dreamed we were working towards this, particular, moment in time but all those years of driving to the skating rink, where, in the last years the car had done the trip so many times, it went there itself ~~ finally, acknowledgement. This will do as recompense for me. Just wish I’d been there.

Had they wanted to see a thrilling sight "EXPLODE" on the ice, they just had to play the opening bars of Fleetwood Mac’s, “Second Hand News…” **sigh**

I’d have been a wet puddle on the floor of the stands….

GC

Anonymous said...

"Lay me down in the tall grass and let me do my stuff...."

(More than you need to know about your mom.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHHGC34c9f4

brn2scrp said...

Your post made me smile BIG. I am just loving the mental image of you walking into the arena with your hockey bag on your shoulder ... and scoring a goal while on the ice with the boys and men! You know I am a hockey Mom, my only regret is, I can't skate!

I love your hair - it looks great. I am so proud of you for sticking to your lifestyle changes. You are an inspiration!

Glad to hear Kaitlyn is dong well - she sounds like such a trooper!

Oh and ... happy 14th birthday!!!! :o)

Anonymous said...

I sense a big story in GC's comments......

Man, when you post, you post big. Love the hair, love the skating, LOVE the birthday cake by hubby!

Dawn