DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Oh boy

So I have had my moment, while driving back over the Champlain bridge this morning.

Kaitlynn and I went to her ophthalmologist appointment this morning as a result of some suspicions I had about her sight. I am quite proud of myself for following my gut. Consider please that I have no issues with my sight, I see far and near just fine and I have never needed glasses. I don't know what it is to not see, but I can empathize with those that need glasses and how frustrating it is to not see first thing in the morning or not be able to focus in the dark. I am also one to forget that someone indeed wears glasses because it becomes part of them, not a separate part of their entity (if that makes any sense).

I had no idea that my gut would pick up on one of my children not seeing properly. Kaitlynn would bump into things that she should really be able to see, or she would hesitate in the darkness of her room, stairs are still a challenge and watching tv involves a strange position of her head. Little things that sort of set off my gut and said... hmmmm, that's interesting... why is she doing that? Good thing I listened. She has astigmatism (her corneas are the shape of a football as opposed to round) and she is very myopic. Jeezzzze louise and a handbasket.

I know, I know, no big deal, so she needs glasses right? A lot of kids have glasses, I'm not reinventing the wheel. The moment, however, has made this a big deal for me: if we hadn't adopted Kaitlynn, she would be effectively deaf, blind and mute (tubes in her hears, glasses to see, and cleft repair so that she can talk to be understood). There you go... now, I have to go and have a good cry, cause its just too much to parse right now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
brn2scrp said...

Well I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. The ups and downs of the adoption journey brought you to Kaitlynn and now you know (some of) the reason why. It's a wonderful thing, how the two of you have brought so much good to each other's lives!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see her in her new glasses. I hope you got her something really cool. She looks like a cool little chick and her glasses could reflect that! :-).

We've been telling Jie-Jie that Anmei is going to get glasses just like him. Frankly, he doesn't really care, but I think that it's totally cool. I hope she's as happy to wear her lunettes as he is to wear his.

Dawn

Anonymous said...

Dear Kaitlynn'Anmei,

I found you some Princess Aurora glasses from Disney that are **PINK** and have their own clip-on sunglasses! How frabjous is that?!

http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfc/Disney-miog-pr-l.html

My first glasses had diamonds all over them.

Maybe you will find some magic glasses just like your daddy's...

huggles

Leanne Franson said...

OK, this post totally made me cry. I first saw her with glasses and thought, oh my, look how she has changed since that photo of you all at the airport, where she looks like such a baby! How dense I am not to see it like you say: yes, she would effectively have been hearing and sight impaired (excuse me about the mute: your kid was speaking clear French IN CHINA, and my cleftrepaired kid took six months home to even speak his own name and still doesn't put two words together: I always mention Kaitlynn as a STAR in speaking, cleft not slowing her down!)... but yeah, thank god that she is so loved by her family and home now where she is cared for. Hugs.