DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Sunday, November 11, 2007

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step

Actual Post Time: 3:30 pm, Beijing

And I think I am step 2 now! DH just left to return home (Mom, the cavalry is on the way!) amongst many, many tears... and not from my Kaitlynn as she was fast asleep. I was quite beside myself upon his departure, and I using this blog to get myself out of this funk. Fear of the unknown is powerful, and seems to consume me these days. So bear with me while I cope.

We left Nanjing on Saturday, again with tears as we were leaving our wonderful guide Juliette. She was a joy the whole time and it was difficult to say Zaijian. The plane trip, shall we say, was a challenge. Kaitlynn has emerged from her shell and decided to get mad at Mama in the Beijing airport, and get mad at Baba in the washroom at thousands of feet over China, while he tried to change her soaked diaper and clothing (note to self, always change a diaper BEFORE you get on the plane!). Baba just got high pitched screaming where I got hitting and struggling and kicking. Very hard time, but I am glad that it has happened and we are now able to move on... I think. We were greated by our new guide, Raphaelle, who is bright and organized and cheery. We got wisked to our amazing hotel, which makes our hotel in Nanjing pale in comparaison. We finally gave in and ate Mcdonald's for the first time - Kaitlynn loves french fries!- and put her to bed at 6 pm and we were out by 7 pm, till 5ish this morning. The day was spent quietly, eating brunch, walking outside and getting ready for DH's departure.

As I said, Kaitlynn has been a joy - still quiet, but loves to play, eat, sleep (hot damn! seeing some other parents around us, we realize how lucky we are that we can get 10+ hrs of sleep if we want or need!) and be tickled! It was heartbreaking to watch her get so mad at me, but I held strong and spoke softly to her and held her till it passed.

This week hopefully will pass quickly as I miss DH horribly all ready. I miss my boys even more and can't believe how my heart is torn into pieces - one piece in China and the other back home.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

FRESH HORSES..... yeah....

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Steph you will be okay, I am only a phone call away ,enjoy your alone time with your little angel , can not wait to meet her
colette

Anonymous said...

Oh Stef,

The transition between the province and Beijing is so difficult for everyone and you had the extra bonus of hubby leaving....(xyzp satellite!) Cling to the knowledge that all this pain will soon be a distant, surprisingly wonderful memory. Beijing goes by quickly - there is a lot to do - you'll be holding your boys in your arms soon dreaming of having a whole hour to wake up and get ready in the morning :-)

It's so wonderful (and horrible) that Anmei is beginning to express her feelings. Wish I had some 'instant fix' advice for you, but I don't. Try to take it one episode at a time and don't convince yourself that just because one flight was rough, the next one will be too.

Our thoughts are with you.

Dawn, Jean-Pierre and Eva
(Well maybe not Eva's. At this moment she is upstairs getting into the toothpaste! I doubt she's thinking about you guys :-)))

Unknown said...

Hang in there Stef..the week in Beijing usually goes pretty quickly as there are many things to see and do if you want to...Enjoy your time..but I know it is hard when the rest of the family is home and you are on the other side of the world. One more week and you will be together forever...

Glad to hear she is starting to show some of herself to you..she is trusting in you and that is a great sign.

Karen

Leanne Franson said...

Hi!
You'll do great! It is hard to move from one hotel and routine to another... Taotao was always overjoyed when we got back to the hotel and then just when he thought it was home it changed. I am sorry you had to lose your right hand man at the same time. Glad to hear that Kaitlynn is loosening up enough to get mad, though in the airport and plane don't sound the most convenient of places!

Try to enjoy your time in Beijing, as you will be gone before you know it and it will be passed quick as a wink. Have fun with this precious one on one time you have with your daughter, without the demands of home and being mom to a whole gang, (yes you miss them but how often will it be just the two of you for days?)... you'll remember it forever! You'll be together with your boys (including the big one!) so very soon.

Thinking of you,
take care, take heart,
Leanne

brn2scrp said...

It's actually a good thing she got mad at you guys, it means she is feeling secure enough with you to do so. (Just keep telling yourself that while dealing with the tantrums, it might help get through them!!). I am sure this week will go by quickly for you and you will soon be reunited with your whole little family. I assume you brought a camera (duh) ... take lots of pictures ... and if you like when you get back, send me some and I will make a small memory album for Kaitlyn ...

Anonymous said...

Monday and Tuesday are now down! Three or four more days until you arrive back in Montreal!

The medical must be done by now. I think you'll have to go to the embassy one day and then you're done the offical stuff.

In Toronto we took a shuttle bus between where we landed and where we did immigration. We lined up for our entry and then we went to an office to the right and did the baby's paperwork. Then we went downstairs, picked up our luggage, walked a little bit and checked in for our next flight. Don't stress about making your flight. They will transfer you to another if you miss it.

Dawn

Leanne Franson said...

Hi! As Dawn says, you must be through the medical by now and on to things like the Great Wall and the Tea Ceremony! Hope you are doing great and having fun in Beijing with Kaitlynn! If you find time, let us know how it is going... if not, see you in four more sleeps!!