DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

1, 2, 3, 4... yup, were good

bffl

Ok, first off, we still have 4 kids... that's the good news. Bad news... well... I don't know how long that is going to last! Oh man, why do they do this (get really bad) when I am alone with them? They know I am outnumbered, me thinks.

Now, we survived this morning cause I canceled the ped's appointment - just too much craziness. (The kids all made it to school and daycare on time). We got to the hospital, with time to spare and met some wonderful people who will be our "family" next week. Kaitlynn was a real good girl and let everyone look inside her mouth and ears, and tickle her tummy and take her blood pressure without complaining one bit. The staff were quite taken with her, and kept raving at how good she was. We got a tour of the ward, and then headed home at about 11:30 am when everything was done. Good news is that her surgery is the first one of the day at 7:45 am, bad news is I have to be there with her for 7 am, fasting completely since 5 am. The surgery will take "a good 2 hrs", according to the assistant to the plastic surgeon, which I interpret to mean it will be longer. He explained that Dr. Williams will decide on the spot what is best for the palate repair, and then he went on to describe the most common repair (take grafts from either side of the cleft, put it in the middle, and then attach the muscles together from the back to the front - this is my interpretation of what he said, so its very simplified down). She may loose a tooth in the process, as there is one right inside the cleft, but they will try to save it. She will be on a soft diet for 2 weeks, and hopefully during that time she won't get a fistula (a tear in the incision) which means another surgery most likely. She will be at risk for sleep apnea for 2-3 days afterwards, as everything will be swollen, but she will be on a monitor for the whole time. Pain medication will be the old tylenol and codeine mix.

Now, time to run and put some youngster to bed - I needed a few minutes to myself, so I am hiding downstairs! Oh dang... they found me...

2 comments:

4D said...

Hugs and wishing you all good luck and a speedy recovery for Miss K.

Keep smilin!

Leanne Franson said...

Well, that all sounds promising. Glad to hear that Kaitlynn is taking it well and isn't having bad doctor reactions. first thing in the morning sounds great... I mean, how can she be hungry at 5am? You'll be rushing, down there, and it will all be over before you know it. And yikes, I am exhausted with ONE shouting MAMA MAMA MAMA til I answer... I cannot even imagine three more. OK. I can... and it makes me want to hide in the basement really quiet with a computer! :P !! Good luck!