DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Well, there you go

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR

Happy Year of the rat to everyone!

I didn't post anything right way, cause things were a bit murky. Now that I have spoken to the audiologist, I can speak more intelligently about Kaitlynn's ENT appointment yesterday. (I should mention that yesterday was a day from ... well you know... Jacob had a fever and a terrible cough, Tristan's wart is infected and needs immediate attention, Kaitlynn needed to go to Children's in the morning... and all this with 1 car - we pulled it off, but Dh had to take the day off to make it so). Kaitlynn's audiology test was not what I expected - she has no movement in her tympanic membrane and she has problems hearing in the high frequency range. Normal hearing is rated between 0-20 dB, whereas Kaitlynn is at 40 dB. To give you an idea, go underwater and try to listen to someone speaking to you... that is what she hears. (As a reference point, Tristan has 20 dB is his right ear, and 35 dB in his left). Needless to say, I was shocked given that she is speaking so much... I've lost count on how many words she knows. Tristan at this age and with his hearing wasn't speaking at all! So what happens now you ask? She will have tubes installed when they repair the cleft. She will then be tested 2 weeks later to see what she is hearing. She will probably have to have the tube surgery a few times, as they tend to drop out every 6 months or so. (BTW, this is quite common with clefts). Joy....

Tristan's foot is very, very, very infected. He is at home for the next two days so I can keep cleaning it and putting cream on it, and giving him his antibiotics like clockwork, and to make sure he doesn't walk on it too much. If its not better by tomorrow, we are off to the Children's so that he can have surgery to clean it up. Joy...

Jacob had a terrible fever on Tuesday night, with a horrible cough. Not usually bad, except for his preemie lungs which are always a worry to me. We started him on the pumps, but they take 48 hrs to take effect. So he came to bed with me, and watched the news for a bit until the meds took effect on his fever. While watching the news, a couple of women on the news clip walked by dressed in heejabs. Jacob, better known as Munch, pipes up with "Is that Irak?".... ummmm.... no, its not... "Oh Good, cause I don't like Irak.".... ummm why honey? "Because there is war there and its not a good place to be right now". ohhhhhhh..... Now, I ask you how does he know about Irak? How does he know anything about heejabs? HE'S THREE (barely)! We have no idea how he has processed this information - we watched the news in English, he only speaks French. He had a fever, was red as a tomato and he is talking to me about Irak! Oh my, are we in trouble.... Joy....

3 comments:

4D said...

Wow....that is a lot! Hang in there.

Happy Chinese New Year!!!

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

Yuk what a day , hope your little guy feels better soon , when do you go back to audiology
colette

Leanne Franson said...

I had to laugh every time you wrote ... Joy. LOL! I am sorry about Kaitlynn's ears.. you're right, I would never have guessed it.. she speaks so well. Taotao on the other hand went to the ENT on Thursday (incredible we don't bump into eachother more often!) and other than getting wax cleaned out they said his hearing was normal and he doesn't need tubes. He was flatline on the tympan vibration test though... but they thought it may have been due to just having had his ears cleaned. And the iraq thing? my my, your son is on the ball. Rather frightening. Now watch, he'll be all dismal and pessimistic like me: I spent my childhood stressing about apartheid, living conditions for natives on reservations, wolf hunting, nuclear war... !! yes, Joy. btw, your Fu symbol is upside down. Funnily enough it is the good luck symbol hung all over at Chinese New Year, and is also Taotao's original surname!